Thursday, August 1, 2013

This Thing Called Life

Earlier this summer, my husband (very unexpectedly) lost his 23-year-old son to a blood-clotting disorder. Although Hugh had been feeling "off" for quite some time and suffered, during the last few months of his life, from colitis and weight loss...nobody expected him to die. Certainly not at that age!

Naturally, the whole situation got me thinking about life and death. What does life mean? Why are we here? Is there a plan mapped out for all of our earthly days? What happens when we die?

I realize that there are many beliefs, faiths, and possible answers to those questions.

So, I'm still thinking. Some people live their lives joyously and for the moment. Others are constantly stressed out--striving to reach each new goal and destination as quickly and efficiently as possible. Still others stress about various indignations and bends in the road while catching fleeting moments of happiness when they can. I, unfortunately, have fallen under the third category.

Fortunately, my family is notorious for its longevity (my maternal grandmother is 90 now, and still going strong). So, I've always assumed that I had forever for all the pieces of my puzzle to fall together and click into place.

But, perhaps not. Life is short--TOO short--as I've just learned from my own personal family tragedy. Even if I am going to live to be 100...why waste another day...no, why waste another MINUTE ignoring opportunities to enjoy this thing called life. Why not set and REALIZE goals that lead to that end?

As I move on, I will do my best to not only enjoy my time here, but to make the best of each opportunity bestowed upon me. I will try my hardest to make the most of this thing called life.



2 comments: